March 1, 2011

God's Inspiration Beauty

We're in the middle of cherry blossom (Sakura) season in Japan. We here in Okinawa are seeing the vibrant pinks fade away to reveal new leaves, but in mainland blossoms are beginning to open. There are two Sakura trees in my neighborhood that I pass by daily. Each year, they begin to bloom in early February lasting almost the whole month. I can't help but look at them in amazement at the beauty that God can create and praise His name! His creation shouts His glory and for the month of February, I experience a piece of that as I make my way through the neighborhood. Romans 1:20, "For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made." (ESV, 2001)

Being inspired by the beauty that God created to show his power and divinity, I've created my own version of His Sakura in sugar. 











Today's How To: Painting with Pearl Dust


1. You will need vodka, pearl dust, a paint brush, small mixing container and a teaspoon


When painting, you need to use a liquid that has a high alcohol content. Extracts can also be substituted for vodka though they are more expensive to use. The alcohol will evaporate off your cake leaving nothing but color behind.


2. Fill your teaspoon a quarter way full of vodka. I use the teaspoon rather than a quarter teaspoon to measure because it's easier to aim into the bigger vessel! Pour this into your container or paint tray and add about the same amount or less of your pearl dust. The more pearl dust you add, the darker the finished product and vice versa. It doesn't need to be exact. Mix the two together well.




Tip: mix your vodka and pearl dust every few minutes while painting. The pearl dust will want to settle at the bottom. Your mixture should always look shiny in the paint tray. If it looks dull, give it a mix!

3. To paint, dip the tip of your brush into your paint. Never dip the whole brush, your paint should not extend above the lower third of your brush. Add your pearl dust to items on your cake you want to shimmer! Allow them to dry completely before adding to your cake.


I chose to add gold pearl dust as well to my flowers layering it on top of the pink.

My finished product:




6 comments:

  1. What a great idea, Shannon! I will love following your journey through baking... and of course we're only a short walk away if you ever need taste-testers! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - incredible!! Welcome to the bloggy world!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I got on FB tonight to let you know you are on my mind, and that I am praying for you...and I saw your lovely blog post....So cool! Miss chatting with you. See you soon... ~Holly

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad to see you writing a blog! Beautiful cakes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This cake was AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Thanks for sharing your yummos with your peeps!

    ReplyDelete