April 4, 2011

Lightening the Load

My to-do list seems to be endless! The list of commitments seems to get longer despite my best efforts to shorten it and before I know it my attempts to achieve a lighter load of priorities quickly doubled from my original load! How does this happen? I need to lighten my load! Any takers for some tasks?

The past few weeks I've been taking a closer look at the Jewish life before Jesus died. Talk about commitments! There was a ritual for everything along with an extensive rule book for daily life! Now that's a heavy load! I can certainly rejoice when Jesus tells us, " For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." (Matthew 11:30, ESV) Jesus abolished all the old rules the Jews had to follow. Praise God because I don't know when I would have time to follow them! I do need to sleep at some point! In addition to giving us a light rule book (follow him, love others, confess and believe; I think I can do that!) he'll pick up the load of burdens for us and carry them. While I do need to ensure that I don't overcommit myself, there will still be days when there just isn't enough time. In those times, I can call on Jesus and he'll pick up all my tasks, carrying them while helping me accomplish each one.

While working on getting a lighter load, sink your teeth into a lighter treat!

Macaroons 


Ingredients:
2 large egg whites
pinch of salt
2/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon almod extract
8 oz finely ground blanched almonds (about 2 cups)
30 whole almonds (optional)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line two baking sheets with a non-slip mat or parchment paper.


Beat eggs whites in a mixer for 30 seconds then add salt and beat on medium high speed for 1 to 2 minutes until soft peaks form.


With mixer still on medium high speed, slowly add the sugar beating for 5 to 8 minutes until stiff and glossy. Stir in almond extract.


Fold in ground almonds using a rubber spatula.




Using a cookie scoop or spoon, drop dough onto lined cookie sheets. 


Add an almond to the center of each cookie if desired.


Bake for 14 minutes until lightly browned rotating cookie sheets halfway through. Allow to cool on cookie sheets for 2 minutes then transfer to cooling racks. May be stored at room temperature for up to a week or in the freezer for up to 1 month.

Makes about 30 cookies.



*Access this recipe without pictures here.

2 comments: