June 7, 2011

Light to the World: A look back at the year in PWOC

I like to keep my posts short and sweet, but today I would like to share more of my heart and experiences. Bear with me and a promise a treat at the end!


Three years ago, on June 26th, I stepped off a plane onto foreign soil and took that first step on the most amazing journey of my life. On that day, God began to transform me from a lost soul to his beloved daughter with property in the home Christ has build for us in heaven. Our tour here on Okinawa has been life-changing. This is the place God brought me to save me.

Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine.

Isaiah 43:1

Part of my journey here with the Lord has been to serve in Protestant Women of the Chapel (PWOC). What a blessing this group of women has been! These women were the ones to encourage me along in my faith, loving me when I only spouted off things of the world and gently guiding me to the truths of Christ. I remember that first year I was at PWOC three years ago. I looked at the board members, particularly our group president and spiritual life leaders as being these amazing godly women. They walked the walk and they talked the talk. Would I ever be like that? As I continued along in my faith, filling my intense hunger for God with His word, I was given opportunities in women's ministry at church and later to plan the spring retreat for PWOC. The fact that God has asked me to plan two retreats those first two years was a complete surprise! And boy did he use it to teach me how to look at him for help! And help he did! My faith continued to grow.

Last year I was approached by a member of PWOC and was asked to serve as spiritual life. What?! First of all, I'm far too young, on top of that I've never even lead a Bible study so how was I supposed to pick the studies and be a leader for Bible teachers and then there was the fact that I was only saved for about that last year! I was not mature enough! Despite all my fleshly reasons not to, God called. He and I had a chat and he won (he is God after all!). I accepted. This was going to be an interesting year.

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and hope. Then you will call upon me, and I will hear you. You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart.

Jeremiah 29:11-13

The day came for executive board members to be announced. As we were standing chatting together I looked around and asked were our president was. She is after all an important piece to this puzzle and I was anxious to meet her! My dear friend Tamara, the one who asked me to serve, looked at me and said, "we don't have one." What?! She then explained that they were going to install an incomplete board and that when God sent us a president we'd install her then, but in the meantime my position was the one to fill those shoes. (see paragraph three again) What was God thinking?!

Arise, shine, for your light has come, and the glory of the Lord has risen upon you. For behold, darkness shall cover the earth, and thick darkness the peoples; but the Lord will arise upon you, and his glory will be seen upon you.

Isaiah 60: 1-2

For six months I had the awesome pleasure of leading this amazing group of women whom I admired, respected and looked up to. Completely humbled that God even thought me strong and capable enough to serve in these capacities I walked on as he had asked trusting him as my only guide. Walk with me he did. The road was paved and I followed it. It wasn't always easy, there were many days I would cry over the challenges that were before me and the struggles of leading other women. I made plenty of mistakes and hope I have learned from them.

The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.

Deuteronomy 31:8

In October, God sent us our president. He was so sweet to give me the clarity that this was the woman he was calling to serve the women of PWOC for the remainder of that year and into the next. My journey serving in two capacities had come to an end and I was given more time to focus on spiritual life and all the other things God had for me. In the end it was hard to let go. Harder than I'd like to admit. It took faith in this woman that she could lead and did not need my help and it took me letting go and knowing that God has a plan bigger than me.

I learned so much this past year and grew in so many ways. Spiritually, my new life in Christ has taken off! I learned when God is speaking and when it's my own flesh that wants something. My desire went from wanting to do God's will but not knowing what that was, to knowing and doing it. I have begun to seek the Lord daily when I first arise, sinking into a favorite spot and into his word. My husband and I have grown so much closer despite much time apart. When he's home we grow together during family time after dinner each night, reading together through scripture and discussing what God is doing. Afterward we pray together. The Lord has certainly given me confidence there as well by forcing me to pray openly with a microphone in front of a group. Prayer is such an important way we grow together and personally with our Father. It's basic communication resulting in a personal relationship with the Holy of Holies Himself!

I have been so blessed by the women of PWOC and what the Lord has done in me the past three years. I am in awe that he thinks enough of me to ask me to serve his people leading them to his son. I am humbled before our God that he called me. Little me. As I step away from work before others, I am looking forward to what God's will is for me next! Grounded in him, I can do anything and I know his plans for me are not small and are for the glory of his kingdom! I am honored to be a servant of our Lord.

You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.

Matthew 5:14-16


Learn more about PWOC here at:
www.pwoc.org

Passing the light onto Heidi, our new Spiritual Life leader, while Terri, our
amazing group President looks on.

Our theme for this year in PWOC has been shining our lights, which is Christ shining through us.  As the year with this theme has ended, the Lord was so sweet to present me with the opportunity to design and make a cake for our board installation ceremony. Serving in leadership, you form a strong bond to the organization and those who are in it. It seemed fitting that I could share my God gifted talents with them today in the form of cake for my last Tuesday serving as Spiritual Life leader. This is currently my favorite design! God jumps out and becomes real to me through art and this one is simply HIM! I would like to share with you it's meaning:


The candles around the cake represent each one of us who is saved and living a life for Christ.  When Christ is alive and active in us, he radiates through us resulting in something like light. People see that we are different. People see a light in us that does not come from the world. They see how we act is stressful situations, who we give praise and glory to, what words come out of our mouths. Our lights point to someone that can give the same hope and salvation that was given so freely to us: Jesus Christ, the Son of God.


On top of the cake sits the world, which is held in the scarred hands of Jesus. He is the one that brings salvation to the ends of the earth. We are but a mere vessel that is used to complete his works. We give testimony to his great love and might, but he is the one that holds us all together. 


Written around the cake is Isaiah 49:6b, "I will make you a light to the nations, so my salvation can spread to the ends of the earth." This is where I could see that this design was not my own! I designed this cake about a week and a half before it was due. Two days before, my friend emailed me with this verse to put on the cake, which was what she was using for the installation program. Only God himself could come up with a plan so perfect! 


Shine!


Click here to learn how to make a fondant candle.

1 comment: