January 25, 2012

More on Topsy Turvey Cakes


I have completed two topsy turvey cakes now and have learned a lot through both experiences. Topsy turvey cakes create an illusion that the cake is going to topple. In reality it is very stable (or that's the goal), but this look does take significant carving and skill to obtain. The result is so much fun and people are always impressed by them! They just can't get over the look of the cake being tilted! 

I learned so much during my first attempt at a topsy turvey cake, which I have posted here. A few key errors occured and in my second attempt I learned why my first cake had so many support problems. Here is what I've found:

The directions I've found from other cake decorators say to put a cake circle that matches the one fro the next tier, onto the top center of your cake to carve out a flat surface for that next tier to sit on. What I discovered was that when you do this, the angle of the cake creates a different size circle than the actual size needed. When you place that next tier on the cake, you'll see that the tier will sit off-center make the cake unstable and also putting more weight on one side of the cake. The result from my first try was a slipped dowl-rod, fondant that broke and cake that spewed out of the brokedn fondnat. All becuase the tier was a little off-center. Not good.

The fix is quite easy! Use a cake board, setting on the flat surface you just carved and see how much more cake needs to be removed before it sits on the center of the cake. Keep in mind, you still need to put on a crumb coat of buttercream then more buttercream or fondnat. That's a lot of added thickness that needs to be compensated for! Carefully carve a little cake at a time off the back edge until the cake circle fits easily in the center with a little room to spare on each side. Add your crumb coat and final layers.


Finish up with a crumb coat and your regular coat of butttercream or fondnat and the cake is now ready for it's next tier! Probem solved!



Best wishes for a successful topsy turvey cake!


Shannon




No comments:

Post a Comment